Friday, January 10, 2014

A Letter to My One Year Olds

My Sweet Daughters,

Today, you are one year old. Exactly a year ago, Heavenly Father was scooting you out the door to start your journey here on this earth with your dad and me. And my goodness, we were scared. You came 13 weeks too early. I wanted so badly to keep you in my belly, to grow, mature, and (selfishly) be as close to me as you'd ever be. When you came, you were perfect. Tiny, but perfect. You had 10 fingers and 10 toes. You had hair - lots of it! And I immediately fell in love with you.

Now here we are, one year later. And you two are growing like crazy! You're so aware of your surroundings. You're learning, absorbing, taking in every little bit of life. And you're happy! I think it's because you have each other. Do you realize you each have a best friend for life? No matter what, your sister will be there for you. You get to grow up with your best friend by your side. You get to experience the highs and lows with someone who is at that exact same stage of life. Your first day of school, you don't have to walk through those big doors alone. When life gets hard, you get to run to the arms of someone who gets it. Yes, your dad and I are always here, to hold you, to comfort you, to raise you up. But you also have a sister who understands your feelings better than anyone else. You two have a bond no one can break. Friends will come and go, but you'll always have each other. What a special gift.

I also want you to know that although you have each other to hold onto, you are each your own person. You can dress however you want. You can do whatever sports/extra-curricular activities you want. You are NOT defined as person by the fact that you're a twin. That's why your father and I have worked so hard, from the very beginning, to let you know that you're an individual. We've never dressed you alike. We've given you each your own toys, binky's, etc. We've given you each one-on-one time. Yes, you're twins, but the way we see it, you are sisters who were coincidentally born on the same day. In your life, you are going to be referred to as "The Pearman Twins", but please don't let that define you. You do not have to do something you don't want to, just because your sister does. And if you want to do everything together, that's great too! Just know you have the choice to be whatever person you want to be.

I hope you both know how incredibly loved you are. Your father and I worked so hard to get you here and we don't want to take any second for granted. I savor every single snuggle. Every open-mouthed kiss you so lovingly give. Every laugh. And every time you cry in the night because you just want to know we're here. Because soon, that will all go away and we'll miss it oh, so much.

I love you forever, baby girls,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment