Monday, January 23, 2012

Our love story: part 4

After that kiss, I knew I was in trouble. No more working over the summer in Cedar City. I was going to be spending my time with Chad Boise, Idaho. It didn't matter than I knew virtually no one and had no job lined up. Boise was where I was supposed to be. The fact that my parents moved from New York to Idaho (literally just down the street from Chad's family) was meant to be. Chad and I were supposed to meet, that I knew.

He took me home and I immediately missed him. I didn't want to go back to school. But the next day, bright & early, I started my six hour trek back to Cedar. When I finally arrived, I told my roommate all about Chad. She figured he was just a rebound from my previous boyfriend, but something was different about him. I couldn't convince anyone Chad and I were going to be together. They all knew me well, settling down was definitely not in my plans. But I couldn't help it! He was the one!

We spent our days talking on the MSN messenger (back when it was cool) and the phone. We asked each other questions ranging from "if you could eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?" to "what's a secret no one else knows about you?". Somewhere in the month and a half we were away from each other, he went on a cruise and bought me a souvenir. Cutie. I tricked him on April Fools by texting him that I wasn't interested in him and didn't think we should talk anymore. [He immediately called me to try to convince me otherwise- lucky for him, I was definitely kidding]. He came to Utah for General Conference and we met up in Provo. We met at a park and made out in the car for a good while. Mom, you probably didn't know that. Whoops!

May rolled around and he called me at 5:00am on my birthday (the 1st) to wish me happy birthday. I was so angry he interrupted my sleep, yet I couldn't stop smiling. He had remembered my birthday (even if he thought I was turning 20 but was really only turning 19...turns out my lie about my age actually did matter!).
May 2nd, school was over and I headed back to Idaho. The next month we spent every day together. A few days after I got home, he said he liked me enough to take me on a real live date- you know, the kind where I dress up a bit and he spends money on me. We went to PF Changs and he took me to this place in the foothills that looks over all of Boise. We stood there in the dark, holding hands, staring at the beautiful city. So simple, yet so romantic.

May 16th we went to a dollar movie and on the drive home he said,

"Just so you know, you're my girlfriend now".
"Oh, I am? I don't have a say in the matter?", I said rather taken aback.
"Nope, I already decided"
"Well, okay then...". I didn't even try to put up a fight!

May 20th we were sitting on my couch when I asked him,

"So how long have you known you wanted to marry me?"
(Kinda joking around, kinda not)
He sat there for a second, a bit stunned. Apparently he had prayed about it the night before and received confirmation I was the one he needed to be with forever.
When he explained all this to me, I was literally shaking. I knew I was going to marry him the night I met him. But I figured I'd have to wait around a while for him. When he said that, it all became real.
We talked about it a bit but I was going out of town the next day so our conversation was cut short. We talked about it briefly while I was gone but it was killing me. I wanted to be with him figuring it all out. I like planning. I don't like the unknown, and our "LET'S GET MARRIED" conversation was just dangling there. When I got home, we discussed what would be best for us and it was decided:

On August 28, 2008, our lives were going to change forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment